I had a hard disk failure on my C drive on Saturday morning. This probably came at the worst possible time. I agonised over the fact that I currently cannot afford a Mac and went out and bought a cheap Advent Windows 7 desktop machine with a core-i5, 1TB disk, 3GB ram and USB3. I also bought a second 1TB disk, a 4GB memory module and an external disk enclosure. I spent Saturday night configuring the basic OS and backing up the installation to DVD. I installed MSE, Thunderbird and started the long task of sending my backup emails from my linux machine to the new system. More later.
More emails sent to myself on Sunday. Installed ASIO4ALL v2. Installed Line 6 Monkey and downloaded the drivers for Pod Studio UX2. Installed EnergyXT2.5.4, managed to find my license key. Managed to load up the demo projects. Working. Installed Pro-53. Needs a product serial number, but the Service Center was asking for a 13-character serial number to activate the software. Sent a message to NI. Witing for reply. Installed Malwarebytes. Removed E: drive from old machine and installed in external enclosure. Increased RAM in new machine from 3GB to 6GB. Tried to install second 1TB disk in new machine, but no SATA cable was provided with the disk and there was no spare in the computer. Phoned Currys and they assured me that the local branch stocked cables. Drove there and the store assured me that they never stock these cables. Had to drive to a much more distant PC-World and got a cable, only to realise when I got home that I would need a cable with an angled-connector due to lack of space in the computer. Hung the audio driver or UX2 whilst running Pro-53. Decided to try running the Pro-53 in XP SP3 compatibility mode.
Popped into a small PC repair shop in town on the way to work and managed to get the correct SATA cable. Installed the second 1TB drive and connected the old E: drive via USB. Managed to copy all files onto the new F: drive. Installed Waldorf Edition and after a struggle managed to get it working. Whilst playing with Wave 2.V, using D-Pole as an insert effect I managed to hang the sound driver/UX2 again. Yet more forwarding of emails.
A mammoth email forwarding session. Managed to complete the task. replaced the e: drive from my old computer in the external enclosure with the bad C: drive. Managed to copy most files to my F: drive. had problems copying 2 of the selected files. One copy failed, but the operation timed out and allowed me to continue, bypassing the bad file. The second failure hung the copy operation, and after waiting for 10 minutes, I disconnected the USB cable and managed to restart the operation, omitting the bad file. Installed Audacity and the lame mp3 codec for Audacity and EnergyXT2. I have to go through all of the VSTs and find out which ones work.
Had email from NI. They asked me to install the latest Service Center from their website. This asked me for a 25-character serial number. Pro-53 is now working. Got all my old Pro-53 banks back from the dying disk.